Essential Tips for a Fun Home Gym
How to Make Your Home Gym More Fun
Setting up a home gym in your living space can definitely pay off in the long-run. At-home workouts come along with a wide range of benefits. For example, having a home gym provides you with greater flexibility and convenience when planning your workouts. You can exercise on your own time without having to commute and pay membership or parking fees. Working out at home also gives you more privacy and can help you feel more comfortable when exercising.
Simply having a home gym, however, won’t necessarily solve all of your exercise-related challenges — especially if you don’t feel motivated to use it. A lack of motivation is one of the most difficult obstacles to overcome when you’re trying to maintain a regular fitness routine. Figuring out how to get motivated to work out is essential so you can make the most of your home gym and get the results you want.
A great way to move past this barrier to exercise is to find ways to optimize your home gym space so that using it feels fun and exciting. Check out this roundup of the best tips to make your home gym more fun so you can discover how to get motivated to work out and kickstart your fitness journey.
Choose a Great Space
The first step in making your home gym as fun as possible is actually choosing a spot to set it up in. There’s no one right answer for where you should put a home gym. The right space depends on your individual living situation and how much room you have to spare for a fitness area. If you’re limited on space, you can make a corner of a room into a home gym, turn your home office into a half gym/half work area or make a portable home gym on your patio or balcony. If you do have extra room, dedicating an entire room to your home gym often lets you be more creative when setting it up and decorating it.
Wherever you decide to put your home gym, look for a space that has plenty of natural lighting and that you feel comfortable in. The better you feel in your home gym, the more likely you are to want to use it. Choosing the wrong space can quickly derail your fitness plans. For example, say a home gym was set up in a basement that is freezing cold in the winter and very hot in the summer, and that has no windows. Even though the home gym has its own dedicated room in the basement, it would be difficult to get motivated to work out in such an uncomfortable space. A corner of a kitchen with even temperatures and plenty of windows to let in sunlight, on the other hand, would be much more inviting and enjoyable to use.
Pick Functional Decor
Once you’ve decided where you’re going to set up your home gym, it’s time to decorate. The best way to make sure your home gym will be both useful and fun is to choose decor pieces that are not only aesthetically pleasing, but that also serve a purpose. Here are some examples of functional decor to include in your home gym that can help you with how to get motivated to work out:
- Inspirational Posters — One of the easiest ways to add a creative touch to your home gym is to put up inspirational posters on the walls. Choose motivational quotes from your favorite athletes or celebrities and mount them where you’ll be able to see them while you’re exercising. This is a surefire way to keep you motivated through even the toughest fitness session.
- Whiteboard — Add a whiteboard or chalkboard to your home gym so you have a dedicated spot to write out your exercise routines for the week, list your fitness goals or keep track of your workout progress. A whiteboard can help you clearly visualize your fitness journey, making it a great solution for how to get motivated to work out.
- Mirrors — Mirrors are another example of decor that serve a purpose. When you set up mirrors in your home gym, you’ll be able to easily check to see if you’re using the proper form during your workouts. There’s nothing more frustrating than not getting the results you want because you’re not performing your exercises properly — not to mention the risk of injury that’s associated with improper form. Mirrors can also make a space feel brighter, which can help you stay positive as you complete your workouts.
- Foam Mats — Foam tiles and mats come in a wide assortment of colors that can easily add a colorful splash of fun to the design of your home gym. They also provide cushioning and support that is helpful for performing workout moves like stretches at the beginning and end of your fitness routine.
- Paint Colors — If you have the opportunity to switch up the paint colors or wallpaper of the room you’re putting your home gym in, you have an exciting chance to make the space more fun. Choose colors that inspire you — whether that means bold, cheerful shades like yellow or orange, or simply a mix of your favorite colors. Another direction to go in is to pick wallpaper that will help transport you during your workouts to your happy place. Think a feature wall covered in wallpaper featuring a mountain landscape, beachside trail or forest scape.
Set Up Entertainment
Feeling bored by workouts is one of the most common causes of a lack of fitness motivation. One way how to get motivated to work out in your home gym is to outfit it with fun entertainment options. You can’t go wrong with a TV that allows you to watch your favorite Netflix shows or movies as you get in your workouts. A speaker system is also an excellent option when you want to listen to a motivating fitness playlist or listen to podcasts or audio books in high-quality surround sound. Adding entertainment to your home gym is sure to make your exercise sessions more fun.
Add Aeroski to Your Home Gym
To have a truly effective and fun home gym, you also have to pick the right exercise equipment to use during your workouts. While a treadmill might be the piece of equipment that comes to mind first, it’s best to think twice about traditional at-home workout machines like treadmills and stationary bikes. These machines can quickly become boring due to their monotonous movement, sucking all the fun out of your regular fitness routine.
That doesn’t mean that there aren’t any at-home exercise machines out there fit for a fun home gym. Aeroski’s skiing fitness machine provides a unique and fun exercise experience that is sure to help you get motivated to work out. The dynamic motion of the Aeroski will keep you engaged during your fitness sessions while also getting you all of the results you want to keep you motivated. Aeroski is a full-body exercise that targets all of the major muscle groups in the body during each workout. Aeroski is also lightweight and easy to set up, giving you the flexibility to switch things up and exercise from any spot in your home.
For fun exercise that gets you the results you want from the comfort of your home gym, choose Aeroski!